The Sony World Photography Awards Youth competition is structured to give more opportunities to young photographers to receive recognition for their imagery.
If you’re aged between 12 to 19 years old you can submit up to three images relating to that month’s theme. Running from July to December, there’ll be six themes to inspire you. Themes will embrace genres such as wildlife, landscape, portraiture, still life and travel.
Every month a shortlist (including the winner) of up to ten photographers will be celebrated on the World Photography Organisation Instagram feed and blog. The winner will be promoted on our weekly newsletter and then go on to be in with a chance of the overall Youth Photographer of the Year title in April 2021. Not only does the Youth winner receive international recognition and exposure, they’ll also enjoy a range of Sony digital imaging equipment to nurture their vision.
We’ll be using the hashtag #youthofswpa on our social channels throughout the month to shout about the competition, we encourage you to do the same!
A good portrait gives the viewer a deeper insight into your sitter. Be it studio, candid or even a self-portrait we want to see your pictures of people that evoke, arrest, inspire. Injecting feeling and emotion are key to this month’s competition and a creative eye will also be rewarded.
A family member or friend can be a great subject for this month.
A bit of inspiration...
- Here are a few standout shots encapsulating the best People images entered into the Sony World Photography Awards.
How to enter
- Select one to three images you’ve taken this year that relate to this month’s theme
- Register or login to your account
- Navigate to the competition section and select Youth
- Read the checklist below to ensure your submission will upload successfully
- Upload one to three images relating to that month’s competition theme
Before you enter - checklist
Before you enter make sure all of your images are:
- JPG format and saved at quality 10 or above, or the maximum quality possible (depending on which software you use)
- That your image is between 1-5 MB*
- Your image is set to the sRGB color mode (just make sure the mode is not CMYK)
- Don’t forget! This competition is open to 12 to 19 year olds, if you’re over 19 why not consider the Student, Open or Professional competitions
*If you’re not entirely sure how to resize or reformat your images, have a search online, there are loads of great resources immediately available to help you out. If for some reason your photographs aren’t uploading to the World Photography Organisation website, please double check your images are JPEG format and try again. If you’re still having trouble, contact us here.
Click on the competition theme below to enter your images to the Youth competition!