The Picture This contest rewards outstanding content entered within the Brief. Filmmakers and photographers should consider the Brief when entering their work.
PICTURE THIS CONTEST
"Brief" The brief described at worldphoto.org/picture-this.
“Competition” The Picture This contest as set out in clause 1, 2 and 3 below
"Competition Rules" The rules of the Competition as set out in this document
“Entry” Each video submitted into the Competition as set out in clause 2 below
“Entrant” Each individual entering the Competition
“Event Partners” Companies that serve as Partners to the Promoter
for the Competition; for the avoidance of doubt Event Partners include but is
not limited to Sony Pictures Television Inc, and the United Nations
"Judges" A panel of [number] judges appointed by the Promoter.
"Prize" The prizes awarded for the overall winning Entry, Finalist and Shortlist Entries, details of which can be found at worldphoto.org/picture-this/prizes;
In these Competition Rules:
(a) the singular includes the plural and vice versa and the use of any gender includes the other genders; and
(b) any phrase introduced by the terms “including” or “in particular”, or any similar expression, shall be construed as illustrative and not limiting of any preceding words.
1.1 By entering the Competition You hereby accept these Competition Rules and the Terms and Conditions. Any capitalised terms that are not defined in these Competition Rules shall have the same meaning as given in the Terms and Conditions. These Competition Rules and the Terms and Conditions shall together be the "Official Rules".
1.2.1 The Competition is free to enter.
1.2.2 The Competition is open to all members of the public except:
employees of Promoter or its holding or subsidiary companies; or
employees of agents or suppliers of Promoter or its holding or subsidiary companies, who are professionally connected with the Competition or its administration.
1.3 Any Entry must be submitted by July, 5 2022,
1.5 The promoter of the Competition is World Photography Awards Limited of 9 Manchester Square, London, W1U 3PL, United Kingdom (the "Promoter").
2. To enter, you must fill in the URL of your Entry, upload the accompanying image via the Promoter website at worldphoto.org (the "Website") and follow the on-screen instructions.
2.1 Entry must be produced in 2021 or 2022 and should be based on the Brief outlined, focusing on a positive vision of the future of our planet; information on which can be found on the Website.
2.2. All Entrants must be able to supply a high resolution Entry with resolution of 1080 pixels ProRes HQ MOV and a minimum of 29.97 frames per second and be under 60 seconds in length
2.3 Entries should be hosted on YouTube or Vimeo and the URL uploaded. Accompanying Images should be no smaller than 1MB and no larger than 5MB. The supporting image submission should be a JPEG file. Any Entry that contains significant non-English dialogue must include on-screen English subtitles at the time of submission.
3.1 The Competition will run from 9 am PST on 10 March 2022 (the "Opening Date") to 1 pm PST on 5 July 2022 (the "Closing Date") inclusive. All Entries must be submitted by no later than [TIME] on the Closing Date. All Entries received after the Closing Date will be automatically disqualified. All Entries will be judged between July 6 2022, and July 31 2022.
3.2 A shortlist of up to ten (10) Entrants, incorporating the overall winner will be selected by the Judges and announced prior to October 24, 2022 on worldphoto.org/picture-this. The Promoter will publish the surname and country of the shortlist and their Entries on [DATE] (the "Announcement Date"). If You object to any or all of Your surname, country and winning Entry being published or made available, please contact the Promoter: worldphoto.org/general-inquiries
3.3 The shortlist will be voted for by the Judges based on the most creative response to the Brief and will be notified by email by September 1, 2022.
3.4 The decision of the Judges and the Promoter is final and no negotiation will be entered into with respect to any such decision.
3.5 Each Entrant can submit one Entry and one accompanying image for free.
4.1 The Promoter reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any entry that does not comply with the following requirements, even after the entry is submitted on the Website. You warrant and represent, in respect of each entry submitted by Entrants (“Entry”), as follows:
4.1.1 You are the sole owner and author of each Entry
4.1.2 You have the right to make Your Entry available to the Competition
4.1.3 Each Entry does not contain personally identifiable information about You or any other person(s)
4.1.4 Each Entry does not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libellous-, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content
4.1.5 Each Entry does not contain any material that could constitute or encourage conduct which would be considered a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law
4.1.6 Each Entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity, including:
22.214.171.124 trademarks owned by third parties
126.96.36.199 copyrighted materials owned by third parties (including movie dialogue or musical compositions)
188.8.131.52 names, likenesses, voices or other characteristics identifying celebrities or other public figures, living or dead
4.1.7 Entries which contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service other than that of the Promoter.
4.1.8 Entry contain no screen credits.
4.1.9 No animals were harmed or manipulated in the making of the Entry.
4.1.10 Each Entry complies by the terms and conditions of any 3rd party platform used in hosting the Entry as set out in clause 2.3.
4.2 You agree to fully indemnify the Promoter and/or its Event Partners in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of Your breaching any of the foregoing.
4.3 You confirm that each person depicted in the Entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown. Any costumes, props or other materials used must be rented or borrowed with the permission of the owner, and all other relevant permissions must have been obtained.
4.4 In accordance with clause 3.2 and 3.3 all shortlisted and winning Entrants will be contacted by email to ratify the Entry and arrange for the awarding of the Prizes as soon as reasonably practicable after the Announcement Date, using the contact details provided with the Entry. If the Promoter does not hear from the Entrant by the date specified in any correspondence and is therefore not able to ratify the Entry, that Entrant will be disqualified and replaced by another Entrant.
4.5 You acknowledge that the Promoter reserves all rights to disqualify You if Your conduct is contrary to the spirit or intention of the Competition or otherwise not in accordance with these Competition Rules.
5.1 If you are under 18, you have Your parent’s or legal guardian’s consent to participate in the Competition.
5.2 If the Promoter does not receive a valid signed parental or legal guardian consent form for any winner under the age of 18 within 7 calendar days of the Entrant being declared a winner (excluding the day on which such declaration is made by the Promoter) the Promoter will be entitled to select an alternative winner from among the Entrants.
6. The Promoter may run an online rating process whereby members of the public may vote for a favourite Entry. If there is sufficient evidence (in the Promoter’s sole discretion) to suggest malpractice and manipulation of the rating process by an Entrant, then the Promoter has the right to remove the relevant Entry and, if necessary, award the Prize to a different Entrant. The Promoter’s decisions are final.
7.1 The Promoter recognises the author of each Entry retains full ownership of the copyright in such Entry.
7.2 All Entrants understand that any Entry submitted to the competition may be used by the Promoter, and its Event Partners, for marketing and promotional purposes of You the Entrant and the Competition only, for a maximum of three years after the Announcement Date. Entrant grants the Promoter and its Event Partners a non-exclusive, irrevocable, sub-licensable licence in each Entry throughout the world for three years in all media for any use connected to the promotion of You the author and the Picture This Contest event and/or Competition, including, but not limited to:
(a) judging the Competition
(b) displaying the winning Entry and runners up at public exhibitions promoting the Promoter and/or its Event Partners and organised by the Promoter and/or its Event Partners
(c) inclusion within the Website, or similar
(d) inclusion within any materials in any media promoting the Competition and / or any exhibition organised by the Promoter and/or its Event Partners, in the promotion of the Promoter and/or its Event Partners
(e) sub-licensing the Entry to the press for reproduction in connection with the Competition and any exhibition
(f) allowing viewers of the Website and/or Event Partners websites to view Entries on a computer screen, PDA or mobile telephone and store such pages in electronic form on disk or on a PDA or mobile telephone (but not on any server or other storage device connected to a network) for their personal, non-commercial use only. Please also refer to clause 9.
(g) incorporation by the Promoter and Event Partners in galleries and / or gallery applications on Event Partners’ services for a period of three (3) years after the Announcement Date. Notwithstanding the foregoing, You hereby acknowledge and agree if Your Entry is included in such galleries or gallery applications Your Entry may remain perpetually in the service royalty free.
7.3 All Entrants understand that the Entrant’s information, including Entry name and description, may be shared with Event Partners and media as per clause 7.1, 7.2 and 8.
7.4 All Entrants understand that a part of the Prize of the Competition is the editing and final cut of the film. Such editing will be done in consultation with the Entrant and with the consent of the Entrant where such consent shall not be unreasonably withheld.
8. Any Entry used by the Promoter or its Event Partners shall carry a credit line stating the name of the Entrant as provided with the Entry. Any failure to provide such credit line shall not be deemed to be a breach, as long as the Promoter or its Event Partners uses its reasonable endeavours to rectify such failure within a reasonable period from the date of notice of such failure.
9. The Promoter assumes no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the Competition, and the Promoter assumes no responsibility for technical, hardware or software failures of any kind, for lost network connections, garbled computer transmissions, other problems or technical malfunctions with regard to the Competition. The Promoter assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alteration of Entry. The Promoter is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail addressed to the Promoter on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to Your or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. If for any reason a contestant’s entry cannot be viewed or is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failures, the Promoter assumes no responsibility.
10. Each Entrant releases and holds harmless the Promoter, the Event Partners, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents (the “Released Parties”) from any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the Prize won except where it is caused by the negligence of the Released Parties. Each Entrant agrees to indemnify and hold the Released Parties harmless from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees) and liabilities (including settlements), brought or asserted by any third party against any of the Released Parties due to or arising out of your Entry or your conduct in creating an Entry, including but not limited to: claims for trademark infringement; copyright infringement; violation of an individual’s right of publicity or right of privacy; or defamation.
11. You agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of Your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
12.1 There are no cash alternatives available for any non-cash portion of the Prize.
12.2 Prize winners may receive digital imaging equipment as part of their Prize and in such cases equipment may be sent to them. In some countries income tax may be applicable to Prizes. It is the winner’s responsibility to pay any income taxes related to the Prize in compliance with their own country’s law. In such cases the winner agrees to indemnify and keep the Promoter and Sony Pictures Television Inc., and their respective parents, affiliates or partners indemnified against any tax liability, charges, fines, penalties or interest or any other liability incurred by the winner which liability arose as a result of Prizes provided to the winner.
13. If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of these Official Rules, the Promoter may, at its sole discretion, reserve the right to exclude You from participating in the Competition.
11.2 The Promoter reserves the right to hold void, suspend, cancel, or amend the Competition where it becomes necessary to do so.
11.3 These Competition Rules shall be governed by English law, and the parties submit to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales