For our 2020 Youth competition, we’ve decided to shake things up with a new format.
If you’re aged between 12-19 years old this competition is made for you! Each month you can submit up to three images relating to a specific theme. They’ll be seven competitions, with seven separate themes, to inspire you.
Each competition starts on the first and ends on the last day of that month and we'll update this page with the new competition. To spark your creativity, check out the great photographs in the 'Inspiration' section below. The more competitions you enter, the greater the chance you have of being awarded Youth Photographer of the Year, as the seven monthly winners will then compete to win the prestigious title (announced in April 2020).
To kick things off we’re starting with the theme LANDSCAPE.
The landscape's been a core subject in photography since the medium started 180 years or so ago. Be it through the light, weather, or more gradual seasonal changes, the great outdoors is constantly shifting, making it a continual source of inspiration and interpretation.
- We want to see your photographs that embody the spirit of the outdoors. Your choice of subject matter can be large or small in scale, but must give a sense of the landscape you’re capturing
- The June competition is open from June 1 to 30, the winner is announced on July 10
Every month one winner and a shortlist will be announced on the World Photography Organisation’s Instagram feed, with the winner also featured on our newsletter. You can share your images with us on Instagram by using the hashtag #youthofswpa. The seven monthly winners will then compete to win the prestigious Youth Photographer of the Year title, which is announced at the Sony World Photography Awards ceremony in April 2020.
How to enter
Read this month’s competition theme (above) and select one to three images relating to that subject
Register or login to your account
Navigate to the competition section and select Youth
Read the 'Before you enter checklist' below to ensure your submission will upload successfully
Upload one to three images relating to that month’s competition
Please note, your images can be taken on any type of camera, phone or device
Before you enter checklist
Before you enter make sure all of your images are:
- JPG format and saved at quality 10 or above, or the maximum quality possible (depending on what software you use)
- Your image is between 1 to 5 MB
- Your image is set to the sRGB color mode (just make sure the mode is not CMYK)
- Don’t forget! This competition is open to 12 to 19 year-olds, if you’re over 19 why not considering the Student, Open or Professional competitions
If you’re not entirely sure how to resize or reformat your images have a search online, there are loads of great resource immediately available to help you out. If for some reason your photographs aren’t uploading to the World Photography Organisation website, please double check your images are JPEG format and try again. If you’re still having trouble, contact us here.
- Before you get started, we recommend studying some of the leading photographers of the genre. Take Ansel Adams’ startling beautiful black & white photographs of Yosemite National Park, Edward Burtynsky’s sobering, large scale depictions of our impact on the planet or Franco Fontana’s colorful and minimalist interpretations of cultivated landscapes as great examples.
- Below are a few standout landscape shots entered into the Sony World Photography Awards which might inspire you.
Themes, deadlines and announcements
June competition: LANDSCAPE, open for entries from June 1 to 30
WINNER ANNOUNCED July 10
July competition: ENVIRONMENT, open for entries from July 1 to 31
WINNER ANNOUNCED August 9
August competition: NATURE & WILDLIFE, open for entries from August 1 to 31
WINNER ANNOUNCED September 10
September competition: TRAVEL, open for entries from September 1 to 30
WINNER ANNOUNCED October 10
October competition: PORTRAITURE, open for entries from October 1 to 31
WINNER ANNOUNCED November 8
November competition: STREET PHOTOGRAPHY, open for entries from November 1 to 30
WINNER ANNOUNCED December 10
December competition: OPEN CALL - YOUR FAVORITE IMAGE FROM 2019, open for entries from December 1 to 31
WINNER ANNOUNCED January 10
Click on the competition theme below to enter your images to the Youth competition!