Best single images by emerging photographers aged between 12-19 years-old
The Sony World Photography Awards 2021 Youth competition is now closed.
December's winner and shortlist will be revealed on 8th January 2021 at 16:00 (GMT) on our blog and social media channels. Youth Photographer of the Year will be announced later on this year. Stay tuned with our latest news and announcements by signing up to our newsletter.
- Free to enter and open to all 12-19 year-olds, asked to submit single images taken in 2020
- Monthly competitions with a changing theme running from July 1 to December 31, 2020
- Photographers can enter up to three single images per month
- Judges will select up to 10 images per month, including one winner
- All the judge’s monthly picks will compete to be named Youth Photographer of the Year
- Once you enter the Youth competition you cannot submit work to the Professional or Open competitions
- Please see 'Rules' below for full image eligibility criteria
The Youth competition aims to give more opportunities to young photographers. Judges are looking for fresh approaches to photography and images showing the vision of the young photographer. Alongside worldwide exposure with today’s leading image-makers, the Youth Photographer of the Year receives a range of Sony digital imaging equipment to nurture their vision. Take a look at the themes, deadlines and announcement dates below to keep track of when to enter your best images.
‘It is a huge honour to win the Youth Photographer of the Year in the biggest photography competition in the world! Photography is my favourite hobby and seeing my work recognised really means a lot to me.’
Hsien-Pang Hsieh, Taiwan, 19 years old
- Youth Photographer of the Year receives a range of Sony digital imaging equipment
- Monthly judges’ selection - showcased on the World Photography Organisation website and Instagram account
Themes, Deadlines and Announcements
JULY COMPETITION: Composition and Design, open for entries from 1 to 31 July
WINNER ANNOUNCED: 10 August
Be it wilting tulips dramatically backlit from your bedroom window or an artful shot of architectural details, for this month’s theme we want to see your creative images from around the home that encapsulate good composition and design. Here the key is ensure the core elements of a photograph, light, form and texture, are captured meticulously. Close cropping can work nicely for this month’s theme.
AUGUST COMPETITION: Culture, open for entries from 1 to 31 August
WINNER ANNOUNCED 10 September
For this month we’re asking you to submit those images that have enriched and expanded your appreciation of the world and its people. Be it immersing in your local culture, marvelling at spectacular sights (near or far) or capturing a unique travel experience away from home, show us your best culture and travel photographs. Colour and an individual point of view is key here.
SEPTEMBER COMPETITION: Natural World & Wildlife, open for entries from 1 to 30 September
WINNER ANNOUNCED 9 October
Show us your best wildlife, nature and landscape images you’ve taken this year. From minimalist landscapes to critters in your back garden we want to see the photographs that capture the beauty, drama, intensity and diversity of our natural world. Macro photographs or wide angle vistas are all welcome here.
OCTOBER COMPETITION: Street Life, open for entries from 1 to 31 October
WINNER ANNOUNCED 9 November
For this month we want to see when you’ve to turn your lens towards urban spaces. Eye-catching graffiti, architectural details or snapshots that offer a glimpse into everyday life, images entered into October's Youth competition should all be about framing, imagination and displaying an appreciation for the human condition. If you live in a city, think about the environment you live and your relationship to it.
NOVEMBER COMPETITION: People, open for entries from 1 to 30 November
WINNER ANNOUNCED 11 December
A good portrait gives the viewer a deeper insight into your sitter. Be it studio, candid or even a self-portrait we want to see your pictures of people that evoke, arrest, inspire. Injecting feeling and emotion are key to this month’s competition and a creative eye will also be rewarded.
DECEMBER COMPETITION: Show Us Your World, open for entries from 1 to 31 December
WINNER ANNOUNCED 08 January
This month’s competition is an OPEN CALL! Every successful photographer has a distinct way of seeing the world and we want to see yours. Select up to three of your favourite images from the past year. Your entries can be any topic, style or subject matter but make sure your images standout and will catch the viewer’s imagination.
The Sony World Photography Awards support Pro-Imaging in order to protect the image rights of photographers.
1.1 By entering the Competition You hereby accept these Competition Rules and the Terms and Conditions.
1.2 .1 The competition is free to enter.
1.2.2 The competition is open to all members of the public aged 12-19 on the closing date of the Youth competition (December 31, 2020 13:00 GMT).
1.3 Entries must be submitted by the last day of each month between July 1, 2020, and December 31, 2020, 13:00 GMT.
2. To enter, you must upload your image via the World Photography Organisation Website (www.worldphoto.org) or any of the official Sony World Photography Award websites and follow the on-screen instructions carefully.
2.1 Images must be taken in 2020 and Entries should be based on the monthly theme outlined, information on which can be found on the Website.
2.2 Images should be no smaller than 1mb and no larger than 5MB. Images should be JPEG files. All images must be saved in the sRGB color model.
3.1 Entries will be judged on a monthly basis and the monthly winner will be announced at the beginning of each following month. The overall winner will be selected between January 8, 2021 and March 2021
3.2 Monthly winners and a shortlist will be selected and announced prior to the Awards Ceremony and the overall winner will be announced during the Ceremony in April 2021.
3.2.1 The overall shortlist and the winner will be chosen from the monthly shortlist selected for each calendar month of the competition’s duration with each calendar month having a different theme.
3.3 The Youth Competition winner will be voted for by the Judges. The overall winner of the Youth competition, will be notified by email and will receive return flights to London (economy class) and hotel accommodation, for two consecutive nights including the night of Awards presentation in London, April 2021.
3.4 The decision of the Judges and the World Photography Organisation is final and no negotiation will be entered into with respect to any such decision.
3.5 Each Entrant can submit up to three (3) images for free per monthly competition. Judging will be based on the single image and not a series of images.
4.1 The World Photography Organisation reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any entry that does not comply with the following requirements, even after the entry is submitted on the Website. You warrant and represent, in respect of each entry submitted by You (“Entry”), as follows:
4.1.1 You are the sole owner and author of each Entry
4.1.2 You have the right to make Your entry available to the Competition
4.1.3 Each Entry does not contain personally identifiable information about You or any other person(s)
4.1.4 Each Entry does not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libelous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content
4.1.5 Each Entry does not contain any material that could constitute or encourage conduct which would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law
4.1.6 Each Entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity, and Your Entry does not include:
184.108.40.206 Trademarks owned by third parties
220.127.116.11 Copyrighted materials owned by third parties (including movie dialogue or musical compositions)
18.104.22.168 Names, likenesses, voices or other characteristics identifying celebrities or other public figures, living or dead
4.1.7 Entries which contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service other than that of the World Photography Organisation.
4.1.8 Entries containing screen credits
4.1.9 No animals were harmed or manipulated in the making of the image
4.2 You agree to fully indemnify the World Photography Organisation in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of Your breaching any of the foregoing.
4.3 You confirm that each person depicted in the Entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown. Any costumes, props or other materials used must be rented or borrowed with the permission of the owner, and all other relevant permissions must have been obtained.
5.1 If you are under 16, you have Your parent’s or legal guardian’s consent to participate in the Competition.
5.2 If the World Photography Organisation does not receive a valid signed parental or legal guardian consent form for any winner under the age of 16 within 7 clear days of the Entrant being declared a winner (excluding the day on which such declaration is made by the World Photography Organisation) the World Photography Organisation will be entitled to select an alternative winner from among the Entrants.
6. The World Photography Organisation may run an online rating process whereby members of the public may vote for a favourite photograph. If there is sufficient evidence (in the World Photography Organisation’s sole discretion) to suggest malpractice and manipulation of the rating process, then the World Photography Organisation has the right to remove the relevant Entry or Entries and, if necessary, award the prize to a different Entrant. The decisions of the World Photography Organisation are final.
7.1 The World Photography Organisation recognizes You, the author of the image, retain full ownership of the copyright in each Entry.
7.2 All Entrants understand that any image submitted to the competition may be used by the World Photography Organisation, and its Event Partners, for marketing and promotional purposes of You the author and the event only, for a maximum of three years after the Awards Ceremony in April 2021. You hereby grant the World Photography Organisation a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence in each Entry throughout the world for three years in all media for any use connected to the promotion of You the author and the Sony World Photography Awards event and/or competition, including, but not limited to: Entrants understand that any image submitted to the competition may be used by the World Photography Organisation, and its Event Partners, for marketing and promotional purposes of the event only, for a maximum of three years after the Awards Ceremony date in April 2020. You hereby grant the World Photography Organisation a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence in each Entry throughout the world for three years in all media for any use connected to the promotion of the Sony World Photography Awards Event and/or Competition, including, but not limited too:
(a) Judging the Competition
(b) Displaying the winning entries and runners up at public exhibitions promoting the World Photography Organisation and organized by the World Photography Organisation
(c) Inclusion within the Website, a World Photography Awards book, magazine or similar
(d) Inclusion within any materials promoting of the Competition and/or any exhibition organized by the World Photography Organisation, in the promotion of the World Photography Organisation
(e) Inclusion on Competition- and exhibition-related products to be sold by the World Photography Organisation or any third party following the individual agreement by the author
(f) Sub-licensing the Entries to the press for reproduction in connection with the Competition and any exhibition
(g) Allowing viewers of the Website and/or Sony World Photography Awards Application to view images on a computer screen, PDA or mobile telephone and store such pages in electronic form on disk or on a PDA or mobile telephone (but not on any server or other storage device connected to a network) for their personal, non-commercial use only. Please also refer to clause 9.
(h) Incorporation by the World Photography Organisation and Sony World Photography Awards Event Partners in Sony World Photography Awards Galleries and or Sony World Photography Awards Gallery Applications on Event Partner devices for a period of three (3) years after the applicable Award Ceremony date. Notwithstanding the foregoing, You hereby acknowledge and agree if Your image is included in such Sony World Photography Awards Galleries or Sony World Photography Awards Gallery Applications Your image will remain perpetually in the device royalty free.
7.3 All Entrants understand that the image information, including image name and description, may be shared with Event partners and media as per clause 7.1, 7.2 and 8. For the avoidance of doubt the “image information” does not include any personal information of You the author.
8. Any photograph used by the World Photography Organisation shall carry a credit line. Any failure to provide such credit line shall not be deemed to be a breach, as long as the World Photography Organisation uses its reasonable endeavors to rectify such failure within a reasonable period from the date of notice of such failure.
9. The World Photography Organisation assumes no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition, and the World Photography Organisation assumes no responsibility for technical, hardware or software failure of any kind, for lost network connections, garbled computer transmissions, other problems or technical malfunctions with regard to the Competition. the World Photography Organisation assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alteration of Entries. the World Photography Organisation is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail addressed to the World Photography Organisation on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the internet or any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to Your or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. If for any reason a contestant’s entry cannot be viewed or is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failures, the World Photography Organisation assumes no responsibility.
10. In no event will the World Photography Organisation, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and related companies, Event Partners, its advertising or promotion agencies, or its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives or agents be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or punitive damages arising out of any Entrant’s access to and use of the Website. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, everything on the Website is provided "as is"without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranty of merchantability, fitness for purpose or use or non-infringement.
11. You agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of Your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
12. All Entrants must be able to supply a high-resolution image suitable for printing in media and an exhibition should the image be required.
13. There are no cash alternatives available for prize winners.
14. Winners will be announced online.
15. Should the Awards Night and/or any Winner's Exhibition fail to take place, or be re-scheduled, due to Coronavirus or additional factors outside of the World Photography Organisation’s control there are no cash alternatives available for prize winners. In no event will the World Photography Organisation, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and related companies, Event Partners, its advertising or promotion agencies, or its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives or agents be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or punitive damages arising out of any cancellation or rescheduled Awards event or winner’s exhibition.
Promoter: World Photography Awards Limited, 9 Manchester Square, London.