Photography competitions are a great way for photographers to gain more exposure and opportunities to help them take the next step in their careers. Whether you’re an established or emerging photographer, the entry process gives you a chance to reflect on recent work and articulate what the image (or series) is really about.
Don’t be put off if you don’t get shortlisted the first time you enter a competition, set yourself a goal of entering at least five competitions per year, and be really proud of each submission. For those who are successful, a competition can promote your work in new corners of the industry and lead to agency or gallery reputation, publishing deals and having your work included in worldwide exhibitions.
To help your submission get noticed by the judges, we've outlined a few top dos and don'ts to keep in mind when you are preparing your entry. If you have any further questions you can always send them over to email@example.com and we'd be happy to help.
- Submit images taken on ANY device - be it a smartphone, DSLR or pinhole camera, all cameras are allowed!
- Make sure your images are JPG format, saved at quality 10 or above, is set to sRGB colour mode and between 1-5 MB.
- Read through the instructions carefully and then read them again.
- Take time to see where your entry would fit best - choose the right competition for you!
- Make sure your image was taken in 2021 (if entering the Open competition).
- Make sure your images weren’t published before 2021 (if entering the Professional competition).
- Show your submission to someone else. They might give you some useful feedback - stay confident in your choices though - it’s a fine balance.
- Enter at the last minute - give yourself time and don’t rush!
- Add watermarks to your images! Your entry will be disqualified.
- Get disappointed if you’re not shortlisted the first time you enter.
- Enter the wrong category - a fantastic wildlife portrait in the architecture category won’t go far.
- Think you need to enter your images into one category, if entering the Open competition you can enter your three images into three different categories
- Miss the deadline!
- The 2022 Open competition closes 7 January, 2022 at 13:00 (GMT).
- The Professional competition closes on 14 January, 2022 at 13:00 (GMT).